Saturday, April 3, 2010

SteamPunk Meets High Fashion

Today I am going to talk about one of my favorite things in relation to SteamPunk: Fashion. I love everything fashion! Clothes, shoes, accessories… I unfortunately do not have the funds to indulge in these things as often as I like but I cant still admire form afar. Looking doesn’t cost anything.

So, in my wanderings around the internet during the past few months, was watching some videos of fashion shows from LA’s fashion week and ran across some very interesting items. So many fashion designers are borrowing from classic Victorian styles and some are even delving into some explicitly SteamPunky styles! It is so exciting! Did I tell you that SteamPunk is making its way into everything pop culture or did I tell you? Here are some of the way cool fashion shows I found. The first one is by a designer named Alexander McQueen, and this is his show for Fall/Winter 2009. His fashions are inspired by very classic styles like the tailored jackets and high waisted skirts, but with an obvious modern flair:





This next show is from a pair of designers that call themselves Skingraft. This is their spring 2010 show. They have taken a more gothic type of SteamPunk and and incorporated some of the elements into their fashion creations. Some of the elements I am talking about are the leather corsets, the leather pilot type head gear, and especially the goggles! This Steampunk with a gothic twist is the type of SteamPunk that my friend was going for with his "evil dictator" costume I posted a picture of in my last post.



I find this one of the most fun and interesting examples that SteamPunk is just everywhere because this is something other than art or literature that has been influenced by it. The genre has a huge fan base that is continuing to grow. I can't help but to wonder, What will they come up with next?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers