Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Wonderful World of the Con

The Steampunk genre has been around for awhile, but it has definitely been picking up steam (No pun intended. Okay, maybe a little bit…) lately. This is could not be more evident than at the Cons. For those of you who don’t know what a Con is, the word is short for convention and that is exactly what it is. They happen all over the country at all times of the year and they have all sorts of different themes. Two of the biggest science fiction and fantasy conventions are Comic-Con, which happens in San Diego every summer, and DragonCon which is held every Labor Day weekend right here in Atlanta. Comic-Con is huge! About 125,000 people attended in 2009, and DragonCon is not far behind with over 50,000 freaks and geeks in attendance last year.
Science fiction and fantasy Cons are basically like giant four day costume parties. The two that I have attended for several years now are DragonCon and ChattaCon, which takes place in Chattanooga, Tennessee. They are held in hotels, (in the case of DragonCon, several hotels) and there are a list of scheduled events, and a multitude of things to see and do. Things like costume contests, concerts, workshops, gaming events, autograph signing, art shows, dealer rooms (where vendors set up booths and people can buy all sorts of stuff), and of course room parties.
The reason I am giving you the run down on the convention world is so that you will understand when I say that in the way of costuming, Steampunk has taken over. Everyone has been wearing Steampunk costumes for the past couple of years. The new thing is to make a bigger, better, more creative, or more elaborate Steampunk costume. Here are a few examples of some of my friends costumes form DragonCon ’09 and ChattaCon '10

These are a couple of my friends in their winter Steampunk outfits. They did not buy these pieces, they handmade their entire outfits!!


This is my friend Derrick. He decided to go a different route with his costume. He calls this his "Evil Dictator Costume".



I don't know this guy, but his costume was one of the most creative that I have seen. He actually made his electric wheelchair part of his outfit. All of the tubes and pieces on the back either light up, make noise, or wind like gears. It was really awesome! You can see that his friend standing beside him is dressed in Steampunk as well.

These are just a few examples of some costumes that I have seen. Now you have a bit of an idea of the style of dress associated with the genre, as well as an idea of the wide range of creative liberty there is when it comes to Steampunk. The possibilities are endless!!

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool. I know a lot of people that go to cons and such and I never fully understood what steampunk looked like exactly cause I just thought they were all people dressed up as characters from animes or tv shows or the like but now I'm starting to get it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard people mentioning Steampunk, but didn't have a clue of what it really was. Your blog answered that question in a concise and clear manner, so thank you for that.

    I especially liked the pictures you posted. Costuming is definitely a fun hobby to get into and though I've never been to DragonCon here in Atlanta (I might go one day), I've seen a couple of neat costumes at other local conventions like Momocon and AWA (but none of them as detailed as that wheelchair one-so cool!)

    ReplyDelete

Followers